Monday, May 12, 2014

Wildlife

"Ohhh you live in Rockville? Oh I'm sorry."

Which is what some people definitely think about my current residence. In fact, I even had someone ask me how I sleep at night. Yes, to my face. And then a Facebook friend was looking for suggestions in the area and was told to Stay The Hell Away from here.

I get it. There are definitely some shitty areas and some dumpy looking parts. There are kids that play basketball in the street, but at least they're outside. There are also apartments I wouldn't ever want to live in. So guess what? I don't live in them!

Sorry, it just bothers me a little I guess.

My landlord is actually quite safety conscious and installed motion lights around the house so that when I arrive home and it is dark, they turn on as I make my way to my door. This is especially helpful in warning me if there is a...(murderer? burglar? rapist? not quite)...skunk in my backyard.


I have a lovely backyard


I am terrified of skunks.

I have been hissed at. I have been tormented while trying to get in my car to leave one night (and was so scared I thought it better to go all the way back inside to think about how to escape). I have seen one several times when pulling in the driveway at night, luckily my headlights usually scare them away.

The light near my door has also alerted me at 3am to a chubby raccoon having a neat little garbage snack on my porch because I was too lazy to take it down to the wheely can. She saw me, we stared at each other for a minute, and then she walked away so slowly it was actually comical. I happen to find raccoons adorable.

We also have a woodchuck (this is what I am told she is) who resides under the shed in the back and comes out each morning to chomp the grass. She is very fat yet RUNS away when she hears a noise or sees a person. Her name is Lily. I have been told Landlord would like her to relocate (to put it nicely), but Landlady will hear nothing of it. I'm on her side.

So back to the light. One of the neighborhood birds has decided it is the perfect place to build a nest. I got home on Saturday afternoon and discovered this:




Not altogether impressive, but I got really excited for the potential of having a bird lay eggs right outside my door and for tiny bird babies. I immediately wanted to find this bird, introduce myself, and let her know I will not disturb her nest, and protect it if I can. Needless to say I was very happy to see yesterday that she worked overnight to improve it:





Sorry for the quality of that photo, the sun (!) was shining bright yesterday. But as you can see, there is much more nesting material here. The top of the light was now covered (it's not in the first picture) and looking closer to being ready for eggs. And then this morning:





That probably looks the same, but it is much more built up and is really starting to look like a nest from the top.




I realize this is a terrible attempt to show the top. But I have to stand on a step stool and its a bit awkward and I just snapped it quick. I will be keeping you posted on this situation for sure. (Ohh I just noticed Panda sitting by the door very quietly staring in it's direction so I went to investigate and have now confirmed it is a robin's nest!)


So yeah, Rockville. It's wild up in here.



No comments:

Post a Comment