Monday, May 19, 2014

*Yawn* (and other goin'-ons)

I'm tireddd.

And busy. So busy. Bahh.

I had orientation at Whole Foods Friday, followed by two days of hardcore training Saturday and Sunday. Between my two days at my old job and the new job I'm working 8 days in a row. My next day off is Saturday. It's ok. I'll be ok.

Today is not a Whole Foods day so I feel like I can breathe for a minute. (Don't get me wrong, I think I will really like this job, but it's hard guys. It's so much to learn and remember and do and standing. Oh the standing. I'll get used to it.) After work Nick and I are meeting with a realtor so he can tell us things, and we can begin the first steps of house hunting. Then I come home and go to bed to wake up with the birds and be at WF at 6am. *cry*

So, because I like torture, I also decided to embark upon my own version of a cleanse. Stress-eating found me last week and I was reminded of how tired, bloated, and gross I feel when I eat crappy carbs and bad fats and sugars. I also gained back a few of the pounds I lost. It probably wasn't the ideal time to do something like this, but just being in WF is actually quite inspiring. I just have to ignore the fact that the pizza station is right next to the espresso bar. Mmm pizzaaaa....

Where was I?

Oh right. So today is Day 5 (going for like 7-10 I think) and the first 4 days were pretty successful. Which is amazing considering:

No Dairy. I still have coffee in the morning because please, I'm not a total masochist. It's organic coffee though, so it's ok. I actually care more that it's fair trade, I like that. And you should too. So anyway, I usually put half-and-half in my coffee, because it's delicious. So far I have tried (all unsweetened) coconut milk (fail), almond milk (not bad), and a blend of almond, cashew, and hazelnut (winner!). When at work I can make an almond milk latte and that is very nice. I am definitely getting used to the change already.

No Artificial Sweeteners. This is something I have felt bad about for so long. I have tried many a time to ditch Splenda and put stevia in my coffee. I go back every time. Never again. I just can't keep putting poison in my body if I plan to reproduce someday in the near future years. It's over. I started with agave nectar and then experimented and in the end I think I have perfected it. One teaspoon agave and one packet stevia. I know, this is riveting reading. I also tossed the Crystal Light.

No Meat. Yup. No chicken or fish or eggs, nada. So along with no dairy, you got it. It's vegan. I wanted to focus on it being really plant-based, so I figured it best to just cut out meat altogether. Plus it takes much longer to break it down and digest so it really wouldn't be a cleanse if I was eating it.

No Alcohol. Horrors. I could have gone for a glass of wine after work the last couple days like nobody's business.

No Wheat. As much as the Gluten-Free! fad irritates me, I am also aware that it's pretty rough on your guts, despite the fact that bread and cake are delicious. I will never in my life claim to be GF or swear off baked goods forever. Just for this, and then go back to keeping them at a minimum. I guess I could also mention here that I am also avoiding rice and potatoes for a minute. I did get GF oats though, and beans are definitely ok with me.

So here are a few examples of the things I have been eating, in pictures:


Starting purchases


Some green cleansing juice. It's not horrible.


Smoothie made with banana, strawberries, ice, and coconut milk.
Yum.


The GF oats with cinnamon, raisins, flax meal, and toasted pecans.


Salad. Romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, sprouts, radish, avocado and 
chickpeas (baked with spices). Dressing made from lemon juice, fresh basil, 
a clove of garlic and a bit of olive oil.
Yes, that is a mixing bowl.


This is water with fresh rosemary, mint, and lemon slices.
It tastes nice!
(And looks pretty too)

So yeah. I have to admit I feel pretty fantastic, in spite of the fact that I am utterly exhausted from starting the new job. I really believe it will all balance out and by this time next month I will feel better overall, and be settled into the job nicely.

Sorry this post is so boring.

But I leave you with this last little bit and it's pretty great.

Yayyy





No comments:

Post a Comment