Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Hunt

The perfect job. The next step in my professional life.

I've been looking for a new part-time job for a while now. Preferably working with animals, or at Whole Foods. Do I have experience in these fields?, you ask. Nope. I just really feel like it's those are the best choices for me so I'm going for it! Since the beginning of March I have applied to 8 places. Vet clinics, animal rescues, a pet store, etc. And WF like...5 times? (no luck there). I have gotten a few interviews so far though, and the process is quite interesting. Or more, my reaction to the process is. To me anyway. I haven't interviewed in a decade (no joke over 7.5 years, and you know how my math system works), and just thought I would be much more nervous and uncomfortable with the whole thing. But I find myself instead being very open and outgoing and chatty with them. So they've gone pretty well! Oh except for the part where I didn't get the first job. Heh.

Interview #1. Veterinary Hospital. Your usual sit-down-tell-me-about-yourself-and-why-you-want-this-job kinda thing. The lady conducting the interview was really super nice. A few disturbing questions such as "How do you feel about being pooped on?" (Whoa whoa, we just met!) and "Can you handle the euthanasia process?" (cry), and then explained rabies testing to me (Dear God Not Like This). My exact answer was, "Well...hehhhh..uhhh...I would be lying if I said 'Yaayy can't waaait!'". She appreciated my honesty. And probably my ability to make my skin go from Cover Girl Medium to Benjamin Moore Eggshell within one breath. She asked me to come back for a second, hands-on interview.

Interview #2. Aforementioned Veterinary Hospital. Working an appointment with someone currently in the position for which I was interviewing. She was nice enough. Didn't seem to love her job though, which was concerning since I was supposed to and all. The appointment was with 2 friendly dogs, one of which got so excited to see me she peed right next to my foot. We are talkin' a just miss here. The rest? "Ok, this is how you test for this and this is how you read this and this is where the shots are and this is a machine that's easy yet it's doing all my stuff wrong and this is how you enter this but you can also do it this way or this way and DO NOT MESS THAT UP even though you will at some point (we all do!) and can you clean this counter for me?" Wow. Basically a whole lot of information I had absolutely no chance of remembering (and shouldn't have, considering I wasn't being trained that day or anything). Oh, and I saw an adorably drunk cat.

Conclusion: That job is totally mine if the person they actually did hire sucks.

Interview #3. Animal Sanctuary Offices. Met with two very nice ladies. A lot of similar questions, only they're in the business of keeping animals alive so no face-drainers. The only tough one was "So what do you hope for in the future?" I'm pretty sure I blank-stare-blinked for a solid 3 seconds, which I can tell you feels like "I just screwed myself" in an interview. It's just I don't really think of a short answer for that, what with all the things I hope for. So I settled on "A job I love and look forward to going to, a house, and to get married and have a baby someday". I'm not kidding. And they loved it! People dig the honesty, I'm tellin' ya. Got an email the next day asking me to come for a second interview.

Mid-Interviews. Animal Sanctuary. Feline Division. Before I had left the Offices, they told me to feel free to stop by the actual Sanctuary during their public hours on Saturday. You guys. This place is amazing! No cages, and all the animals there are treated so well. All the kitties have their own space and their own nice beds and lots of toys and scratchers and everything else they would have in a home of their own. My heart melts. It's truly an awesome place. They have plans for a huge expansion over the coming years and it would be such a great time to start working with them.

Interview #4. Animal Sanctuary. Feline Division. This was this morning. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I seriously love this place. Sat down in the living room of the cat cottage with my
hopefully future boss and two of the girls that work there. A lot of what they intended to go over was already covered in my visit on Saturday, so we just chatted about the job and the adoption process,
laughed etc., while kitties played around us. (!!!). Got a quick run-down of how a typical work day goes, chatted a bit more, and left.

Conclusion: TBD. A decision will be made by next Friday. So now I wait patiently, without stress-eating chips and salsa because I don't do that anymore. I think they really like me though and you know what? I really like them too.


Adorable









1 comment:

  1. Getting 2nd interviews is good. Did you write at thank you note after your interview? If you're not getting hired... call one or 2 of the places and ask what you could have done differently.

    ReplyDelete