Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Fresh

Ahhh a new month.

Doesn't changing the calendar to a fresh set of date boxes just feel like a new start? Most people feel that way when the year turns, but I like it monthly because 12 > 1. A virgin space of the year that you haven't wasted or screwed up by sitting around indoors eating 3 boxes of Girl Scout cookies and watching 4 seasons of Survivor. Wait, what? No, of course I didn't do that. There were only 2 seasons left on iTunes I hadn't watched in the first 2 months of the year. Pshhh.

But really, this month feels different. The winter was long with a capital F and we should be able to expect great things from April. Temps above 50° (60° even?! gasp!), buds on the trees (sorry allergy sufferers) and flowers popping up pre-maturely (sorry flowers). We'll find out if our sunroofs still operate properly (surely I'm not the only one that worries about this?), and maybe get to open the windows and air out our homes a bit. Rain! Ok, I admit that's really not exciting, but holy crap how many times did you clear snow/ice off of something in the last 5 months? Right? Rain is cool with me right now. As is not using double the gas in my car having to warm it up for 20 minutes in single° just to get the needle to move. (I probably need a new car?)

So all that aside, this new month/start/beginning/whateveryou'dliketocallit can mean so much personally as well. It doesn't matter what you did before today because that was March and March is soo yesterday. I have several goal-oriented intentions for April, and they are as follows:

•Today is the first day of AA! (Active April, not the other one. Please.) Exercise regularly, even 15 minutes counts (I aim high folks).

•Get hired (more on this tomorrow).

•Cook more. I like cooking and I eat much better (lighter, healthier) when I do.

•Clean/Organize my apartment a bit more. For example, maybe do something about the fact that I still have boxes in my bedroom. What? It's only been weeks since I moved. Forty-five weeks.

•I need new plants. And a new kitchen rug.

•Try to spend less time watching TV. I'm hoping a new job/warmer weather will take care of this so I don't actually have to exert any effort on this one (I'll still take full credit though).

Ok I think that's enough. If I'm being honest (and I always am), I will be happy with 4 out of the 6. That's practically 70% successful. And obviously, we all need to allow ourselves 10% leeway, so it's really 80%. And if I can't be happy with 90% success then I've got bigger problems than my dirty kitchen rug.

Don't you feel so inspired by my optimistic mind-set and unparalleled ambition?



No more


No comments:

Post a Comment